top of page
Front and rear gardens of a 1950s modernist house in Highgate, N6
The house in St Anne’s Close, Highgate was originally designed in 1952 by the architect Walter Segal, who famously pioneered the concept of self-build housing. Features of the garden design for two architects and their family include a decked patio, reclaimed Yorkstone steps, a curved stepping stone path through a lawn and a series of herbaceous plant beds and borders.
A large ornamental Pear tree (Pyrus chanticleer) and a Gleditsia triacanthos f. inermis ‘Sunburst’ form the focus of the planting scheme that combines Astrantia major 'Roma', Sanguisorba menziesii and Verbena bonariensis among other perennials with a variety of ornamental grasses.
bottom of page